Friday, May 29, 2009

Existence exists

Day three and it wasn't much better, but not for the same reasons. I don't think I've been sleeping well... woke up today looking for a fight. Angry, tired, and ready for it to be over before it began.

Typically I'm the guy that will talk to everyone and anyone. I'll joke during a meeting, talk to strangers in the elevator, smile at everyone, and when asked how I am respond with "extraordinary"... but not today. Was grunting at everyone and cut straight to the point in meetings and phone conversations. I hate being like this. Again, I'll blame it on a lack of sleep. And maybe the weather... nasty all day... NO sun what-so-ever. Paradise?

The adventure today was leaving work early for a few appointments. Fell asleep in the dentists chair while I was waiting for the doc to check a jacked up filling... then went and signed for a house.

My "healing" moment came later when the daughter of some friends graduated the 8th grade. I went to the ceremony and then dinner with some friends and their families. Was a nice night. A bit sad but very eye opening... we've known their daughter for several years and she's now off to H.S. She was just a little girl when we first met them. When I leave this Island, my oldest will be a teenager... so as I watched all these kids tonight, I saw my daughters and realized time is too short... Can't allow days like today to consume me. I tend, like a lot of people, to get consumed with things out of my control. Tomorrow will be a great day.

Was great to get another comment on the blog... hopefully tomorrow I'll get a bunch more as I head into the weekend. Two full days to execute whatever ideas are fired my way. So far I have one in the hopper for Saturday morning (Thanks Dre). If I don't get any I'll have to make due with some self-generated creativity... a scary thought indeed.

reason, purpose, self-esteem...

3 comments:

  1. you have me sobbing. i thought for sure i would wake up and see no post, that you would have to shave your head after the day you were having. i didn't know it was possible after all of these years to know you more, but I feel like after reading this, I know you a little bit more than I did before...and I love knowing you.

    p.s. don't forget about our challenge! S-P-A-M!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe something about surfing giant, 2 foot waves with the locals.

    Tim McGinnis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww--- Tim had my suggestion!! I posted it below. Even if surfing isn't your thing, it would be a shame not to try it at least once-- especially in Hawaii.

    It is really hard not to think about wanting to stop the hands of time!! It's our job as parents to try to help these young ones grow into productive, good citizens one day. But, it is always bitter-sweet knowing that as each day passes, they are growing into independent thinkers, and growing up in general!!!!! They aren't our babies anymore, and they don't need us as much. It's just hard to think about.
    Hope that you get out of your funk, Matt. I have been in somewhat of a funk myself. It's hard not to be feeling yucky when the weather is the way it has been for the last 3 weeks here in Florida. BLAH!!!

    ReplyDelete